• Fabian Wetzel
  • 2017-11-17
  • 2 min. read

Getting around translated content on the web

The Background Story

I am German, my OS and my browser are set to german. But programming is better done in english. It is far easier to search for english exceptions and I have no idea why Microsoft provides translated exception messages. Also the language on StackOverflow and most sites is English.

Sometimes I land on a site like Microsoft Docs (or MSDN) and it gives me German content. Most of the time the translation is not done by a human and it is usually served together with this annoying sentence overlay feature. It is so annoying!

Solve the problem!

Manual way of solving

My German sample url:

1
https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de/sql/sql-server/what-s-new-in-sql-server-2017

as you can see, there is a de-de in it. This will give you the German translation. Simply changing that part to en-us will give you the Englisch version.

Final URL:

1
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/sql-server/what-s-new-in-sql-server-2017

Automated problem solving

This is a developer blog, so lets find an automated solution! I am a Firefox user, so I searched for redirect in the extensions and I found REDIRECTOR. It actually is available for all major browsers:

The setup of the redirection rule is best done with a sample url. You have to provide a URL filter and a way to rewrite it.

Redirector Setup

For your ease of use, I used the export feature of the extension:

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
{
"createdBy": "Redirector v3.1.0",
"createdAt": "2017-11-17T15:08:03.077Z",
"redirects": [
{
"description": "Microsoft always in English",
"exampleUrl": "https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de/sql/sql-server/what-s-new-in-sql-server-2017",
"exampleResult": "https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/sql-server/what-s-new-in-sql-server-2017",
"error": null,
"includePattern": "https://*.microsoft.com/de-de/*",
"excludePattern": "",
"redirectUrl": "https://$1.microsoft.com/en-us/$2",
"patternType": "W",
"processMatches": "noProcessing",
"disabled": false,
"appliesTo": [
"main_frame"
]
}
]
}

I really like how I can solve my problem without needing to talk to Microsoft or any other site owner about there web site. Hope that helps!